After a disappointing last-place finish to a trying 2010 season, the Binghamton University women’s lacrosse team has received the fewest number of votes in this year’s America East preseason coaches’ poll. Despite the dismal ranking, the Bearcats are optimistically looking to their experience and hard work to carry them to a better 2011.

Last year, the Bearcats compiled a meager 2-13 overall record and managed just a single win in conference play. The sole victory was a significant one, nonetheless, as it marked just the second conference win in the program’s history. The Bearcats’ 1-5 conference record led them to finish the year in a three-way tie with University of Vermont and Stony Brook University for last-place in the AE conference standings, though Binghamton had the worst overall record.

“We’re using last year as a motivational tool,” said BU head coach Tony Zostant. “I think we’re a better team than last year’s record, and I just believe we … have a lot to prove.”

This year, BU was picked to finish last in the conference once again, receiving only six votes in the preseason coaches’ poll. The first-place preseason selection went to the reigning women’s lacrosse champion, Boston University, whose win in the championship game last year marked the Terriers’ sixth straight title. Boston University collected three first-place votes in the poll and was followed in the rankings by University at Albany, University of Maryland, Baltimore County and University of New Hampshire in that order. Each team received one of the remaining three first-place votes. Albany, who was last year’s regular-season champion, trailed Boston by just four points in the poll. Vermont and Stony Brook rounded out the preseason selections just ahead of Binghamton in fifth and sixth place, respectively.

Despite the disheartening preseason predictions, Zostant seemed optimistic about the future and eager for the team to prove itself.

“We want to elevate our game and take it to another level,” he said. “We think we can surprise some people this year.”

BU will return 11 starters and five seniors to the 2011 roster from last year’s squad. Senior midfielder Beth Moore finished last season with 39 goals, a feat that landed her in second place in the conference for average goals per game at 2.60. Moore also led the team in ground balls with 37, which was good for third in the conference.

“She’s one of our captains and she’s been solid in the midfield throughout her four years here,” Zostant said of Moore. “Her senior year, I think, will be a really nice one for her.”

Binghamton also returns senior attack Ali Castiglie, who joined Moore in the top 10 in the conference in goals per game with an average of 2.13. Castiglie finished with 32 goals on the year and was fifth in the conference in points per game.

Senior defender Siobhan Menz and sophomore attack Kimberly McGeever, who were both recognized last season with All-Conference honors, will also be returning for another year. Menz, who led the team in draw controls with 25, was named to the all-conference second team, while McGeever received honors as a part of the AE All-Rookie Team.

Menz echoed Zostant’s optimism for the upcoming season.

“I think we’re taking steps to turn things around already,” she said. “We’re all pretty much getting each other up and ready and fueled on the playing field, scrimmaging, pushing each other, and I think that’s a huge, huge step from our team in the past. We’re all fit, we’re all on the same level, we’re working on technique, we’re working on the little things … We all want the same thing, we’re all going toward the same goal this year and we have come prepared and we are ready to accomplish that.”

Along with the experience of BU’s returnees, the addition of five newcomers to the team will bring youth and a new set of talent. According to a Binghamton University release statement, Zostant said that he is excited to welcome the group, which is made up of three freshmen and two transfer students.

“These five student-athletes have the potential to make significant contributions to our program on and off the field in 2011,” Zostant said, according to the release. “Athletically they are a very talented group and bring a good skill set to our lacrosse program.”

The Binghamton women’s lacrosse team is scheduled to kick off the season at 1 p.m. on Sunday at University of Louisville.