Ken Herman/Contributing Photographer Senior Andrea Holmes scored a team-high 12 points in Binghamton?s 49-34 loss to St. Bonaventure on Saturday.

Despite a defensive effort that limited St. Bonaventure University to a 37.5 field goal percentage, the Binghamton University women’s basketball team fell to the Bonnies 49-34 on Saturday afternoon.

Senior guard Orla O’Reilly knocked down jump shots on Binghamton’s first two possessions to give the Bearcats (4-3) an early 4-2 lead, but the rest of the offense mustered just five points in the first half.

The Bearcats’ nine-point first half broke the program’s record for fewest points in a half. On Nov. 19, 2004, University of North Texas limited Binghamton to a then-lowest 10 first-half points.

“I think they rushed us a lot in the first half for our shots, so we were forcing a couple up,” O’Reilly said. “It was frustrating, but, you know, whatever they do on defense we shouldn’t be scoring just nine points in the half.”

Though the Bearcats failed to score over the final 9:34 of the opening half, their defense held the Bonnies (6-1) to 17 points on 29.2 percent shooting at the break.

Binghamton head coach Nicole Scholl said her players took too many off-balance shots and missed others that are normally routine. Senior guard Andrea Holmes relayed the halftime discussion.

“In the locker room, we discussed about how we should come out and be more disciplined on the offensive end and just be more confident and shot-ready and take shots that we know that we make in practice every day,” Holmes said. “Coach had said that we’d been taking a lot of outside shots, so the next strategy is to get to the basket and try to create fouls or get the kicks for the open shooter.”

The Bearcats attacked the rim early in the second half, scoring their first two buckets on layups. Holmes recorded Binghamton’s first of six free throw attempts after drawing a foul on a layup.

Four minutes into the second half, St. Bonaventure pushed its lead to 24-13, but a 3-pointer by Holmes cut the deficit to eight points. St. Bonaventure senior Jessica Jenkins promptly responded with 3-pointers on consecutive possessions for the Bonnies, deflating Binghamton’s momentum and giving St. Bonaventure a 14-point cushion.

Jenkins buried two more 3-pointers — including one contested, step back jumper — late in the shot clock after Binghamton had clawed to within 10 in the final four minutes. She finished with a game-high 19 points and five 3-pointers.

“I would put her up against any shooter in the country,” St. Bonaventure head coach Jim Crowley said. “She’s had two or three rough games in a row, so it was just kind of unfortunate for [Binghamton] that it was going to come, I mean, because those weren’t easy threes.”

Overall, Binghamton allowed St. Bonaventure to shoot 37.5 percent from the floor and 35.3 percent from beyond the arc. The Bearcats shot 26.4 percent from the field and 10.5 percent from long range — both season-lows.

“[St. Bonaventure] is a really good team,” Holmes said. “They play really disciplined defense. On our end of the stick, we had a bunch of good shots … that weren’t falling tonight.”

Holmes led Binghamton with 12 points despite shooting 3-of-16 from the field, and O’Reilly added 10 points. Only two other Bearcats — senior forward Viive Rebane and junior forward Kara Elofson — tallied any points.

Though the Bearcats struggled immensely, Scholl said she did not think the loss would have lasting repercussions.

“I really believe that with an experienced group, I don’t think it will kill our confidence,” she said. “With Andrea and Viive, they’ve been starting for four years. If they don’t have that confidence after a win or a loss, they’re never going to have it, so I don’t think that’s going to be a factor.”

Binghamton will travel to West Point for a match against the Army Black Knights tonight. Army is 6-3 and 5-1 at home.

Despite coming off a 68-64 loss at Loyola University Maryland, Army has allowed just 49.3 points per game on 33.6 percent field goal shooting.

Sophomore Jen Hazlett currently ranks No. 2 among Patriot League scorers with 13.6 points per game.

Tip-off is slated for 7 p.m.