Sasa Sucic/Staff Photographer The BU volleyball team split its final two matches of the regular season and failed to qualify for the playoffs for the first time since 2003.

For the first time in eight seasons, the Binghamton University volleyball team has failed to qualify for the America East tournament.

Needing a win in each of their final two regular season matches to have a shot at a playoff berth, the Bearcats topped University of Hartford in five sets on Friday before watching their season end with a 3-0 loss to University of New Hampshire on Sunday.

On Friday evening, BU (13-17, 5-7 AE) managed to bounce back from a set down two separate times against the Hartford Hawks (12-18, 3-9 AE) to capture a dramatic five-set victory (21-25, 25-23, 21-25, 25-21, 15-9) and keeps its playoff hopes intact.

BU head coach Glenn Kiriyama said that the fine performance from the team’s middle hitters was the key to the turnaround in the score.

“Our outside [hitters] had a tough time,” he said. “Both [Kristin] Hovie and Annelot [Nieuwenhuis] struggled on the outside. We had to run even more middle and go to our hard hitters. Our middle really carried us. They were up to the task. So it was good to be able to rely on them and see them having a good match like that.”

Kiriyama also praised the team’s character.

“[I give the players] a lot of credit,” he said. “They’ve been a hard-fighting team. Like the last match [against Providence College], they had to come from behind again this match. They’ve got confidence and it is good to see them rise to the occasion.”

Junior middle blocker Alex Roland recorded a career-high 23 kills, while freshman setter Amanda Dettmann added 50 assists, tying the match-high. Sophomore libero Xiomara Ortiz anchored the defense with 13 digs.

With half of its weekend task completed, Binghamton turned its attention to New Hampshire. The Bearcats would need another win to have a chance at making the playoffs, but the task proved too tough as they fell to the second-place Wildcats (10-19, 8-4 AE) in straight sets (19-25, 22-25, 18-25).

However, University of Maryland, Baltimore County did win its final game at Providence on Sunday in five sets, eliminating the Bearcats from playoff contention regardless of Sunday’s outcome.

“Obviously we did not play as well as we wanted to,” Kiriyama said. “That was disappointing, but New Hampshire is a solid team. They put up the big blocks and they seemed to dig everything today. They outplayed us.”

Sophomore middle hitter Grace Vickers notched a team-high 10 kills in the match. Dettmann collected 28 assists, raising her total to 1,028 in her first season with the team.

Kiriyama, who has led the team to a postseason appearance in every season since 2003, was left frustrated this time around.

“From the start, I thought it would be a tough year,” Kiriyama said. “But obviously it is disappointing to not make the tournament because it was always our goal to make it.”

Kiriyama remained optimistic about next year, however, expecting his youthful team to bounce back stronger and deliver.

“There is still a lot of learning to take place,” he said. “This is a pretty young team. They’ve got a season under their belt now. We will be better next year; I am pretty confident in that.”

Before the match on Sunday, the program held a ceremony bidding farewell to the team’s seniors and soon-to-be graduates in setter Julie Chambers and defensive specialist Jen Fiorentino. At the conclusion of the match, both were overwhelmed with emotion.

“It has been an amazing experience,” said Chambers, who has been a part of the team since her freshman year. “I have had the pleasure of meeting so many amazing [people], and thanks to Glenn [Kiriyama] for those four years. Just being part of this program is an honor.”

“It’s been great,” said Fiorentino, who joined the team in 2009. “I think a lot of the lessons we learned on the court will help us in our careers. Julie and I have big steps ahead of us. Every loss, practice, game has been a lesson learned.”

Like Kiriyama, both seniors have no doubt that the team will only get better in seasons to come.

“It is without a question,” Chambers said. “They have amazing talent and drive. And they are a great team.”

“They will definitely get better,” Fiorentino added. “They have so much raw talent and potential and they are going to do incredible things here at BU.”