Binghamton University men’s lacrosse coach Ed Stephenson resigned Saturday, but the bigger story may be the reason behind his decision.

BU announced Stephenson’s resignation in a written statement, but the statement makes no mention of the reason Stephenson decided to leave midseason, saying only that Stephenson would be replaced by third-year assistant coach and former Bearcat Kevin McKeown.

However, the Press & Sun-Bulletin reported that it obtained an e-mail sent by Stephenson to players, their families and members of the administration in which he explained the reasons for his resignation. In the e-mail, Stephenson reportedly wrote that his resignation is in protest of the administration’s decision to suspend three men’s lacrosse players as a result of their alleged involvement in a fight with a fourth individual.

According to the report, Stephenson wrote that only one of the players fought the fourth individual, and one player was involved only because he tried to pull the fourth individual off his teammate. The third suspended player, Stephenson wrote in his e-mail, was not involved in the incident at all.

“[The administration has] become so scared of the media that they will not act fairly with regard to the student athletes’ judicial cases,” Stephenson wrote, according to the report.

University spokeswoman Gail Glover did not respond to phone calls seeking comment this weekend, but she told the Press & Sun-Bulletin that the players were in fact suspended.

“The students were formally suspended from the athletic program as soon as athletic department staff and coaches were made aware of this incident,” Glover said. “Behavioral issues are dealt with swiftly and appropriately.”

BU Interim Athletic Director James Norris also did not respond to calls seeking comment this weekend.

A Facebook page called “Binghamton University Justice for Student Athletes” was made following Stephenson’s resignation.

The description for the group states that “Interim Athletic Director James [Norris] has cowardly refused to [allow] due process for student [athletes] for fear of the press and his past poor decisions and lack of judgement becoming a public discussion once again.”

Steve Donigan, the creator of the Facebook page, did not wish to comment on the details of the situation.

“I want to give the University the opportunity to be fair and resolve all issues on a timely basis,” he told Pipe Dream in a Facebook message.

A source close to the team claiming “direct involvement” with the situation said the administration is at fault.

“Coach Stephenson is putting his career at risk because of a bad decision made by BU faculty,” the source said. “Their decision could affect the three lacrosse players’ whole career at BU since they are under suspension for a scuffle.” The source said the incident was “biased against the players” but that the consideration of further evidence would change the outcome.

Stephenson was in his 10th season as head coach of the men’s lacrosse team. He led the team to a No. 16 national ranking back in 2006. While the Bearcats had not had a winning season since 2004, he leaves the team at 4-3 this year after the squad’s first four-game winning streak in five years. Off the field, Binghamton men’s lacrosse has led the America East Conference in GPA in each of the last five seasons.

McKeown is a former America East Player of the Year and AE Scholar-Athlete. He graduated in 2006 and joined the coaching staff in 2008.

–Rob Bellon and Justin Tasch contributed to this report.