The Binghamton University men’s and women’s cross country teams traveled to University at Albany this past weekend to compete in the Albany Invitational. Both teams performed well, with the men finishing second out of 21 and the women placing eighth out of 23. Overall, Albany took first place on the men’s side, while University of New Hampshire took first for the women.

Crossing the finish line first for Binghamton was freshman Cal Michaels. Michaels placed seventh overall in the 8,000-meter course with a time of 25:51. Albany’s Paul Lango won the event with a time of 24:42. Junior Vasili Papastrat placed ninth with a time of 25:54, marking the second straight year he has finished among the top 10 runners in this race. Junior Jason Santos (25:55.0), junior Anthony Gaetani (25:55.3) and sophomore Chris Fernandez (25:59) placed 10th, 11th and 14th, respectively. With these finishing times, the distance between the Bearcats’ first five runners was only eight seconds.

On the women’s side, graduate student Ashley Horton completed the 5,000-meter course with a time of 18:29. She placed 16th out of 192 runners. Juniors Rachel Miura (19:05) and Lindsay Raulli (19:20) crossed the finish line next for Binghamton, placing 39th and 50th, respectively.

Grace Selig of Brandeis University came in first overall for the women with a time of 17:34.

The Bearcats are set to return to Albany on Oct. 29 for the America East Championships.