Three new members were welcomed into the Binghamton University Athletic Hall of Fame Friday during the University’s 16th Annual Induction Ceremony at the West Gym.

Former All-American swimmer Yun Qu (‘04), former All-American track star Mike Ventura (‘95) and former BU athletic director Dr. Joel Thirer (1989-2009) made up this year’s list of inductees.

John Caveny acted as the event’s Master of Ceremonies, as he has at every Induction Ceremony.

Current athletic director Jim Norris also took to the podium, offering his acknowledgment of the individuals’ accomplishments and contributions.

Yu, who was the evening’s first inductee, was named Binghamton’s first Division I All-American in 2002 when she recorded a 13th-place finish in the 200 butterfly at the NCAA championship.

She qualified for the NCAA championships twice, was named the 2002 America East Swimmer of the Year and was selected as the 2001-02 Binghamton Athlete of the Year.

Yu also swam for the Chinese national team for eight years and ranked among the world’s top 10 in the 100 and 200 butterfly.

After graduating from Binghamton in 2005 with a degree in human development, Yu earned her master’s degree in sports psychology at Ithaca College, where she served as assistant coach from 2005-06. At Ithaca, she helped the Bombers earn a New York State Collegiate Athletic title.

She is currently in her fourth year as assistant coach of the Binghamton men’s and women’s swimming and diving program.

Two-time All-American Mike Ventura was the night’s second inductee. Ventura is a three-time State University of New York Athletic Conference champion in shot put, discus and javelin and three-time New York State shot and javelin champion. He placed fourth in javelin at the 1994 NCAA Outdoor Championship, and was named Most Outstanding Athlete at the 1994 New York State Championship. Ventura still holds the school record for javelin and discus.

He currently works as a wealth management adviser at Morgan Stanley Smith Barney in Manhattan, and was selected as a Department of Justice adviser to the Victim’s Compensation Fund in 2002.

The night’s final inductee was former Binghamton athletic director Dr. Joel Thirer.

Highlighting Thirer’s 20-plus-year career as athletic director is BU’s transition from NCAA Division III to Division I athletics. He helped the program become a part of the America East conference and oversaw the construction of both the Events Center and the Bearcats Sports Complex. In 2007, Thirer was named Division I Athletic Director of the Year for the entire Northeast Region by the National Association of Collegiate Directors of Athletics (NACDA).

Under Thirer’s watch, BU’s teams produced eight NCAA champions, 92 All-Americans and 48 conference championships. In addition, the Bearcats captured back-to-back America East Academic Cups under his watch.

Thirer resigned in 2009 following the outing of the scandals surrounding the University’s men’s basketball team, but is still widely respected for his accomplishments at BU. He currently serves as an associate professor in health and wellness studies at the University.

During the ceremony, the Hall’s three newest members were given plaques to be displayed in the West Gym, outside of the Patricia Saunders Aquatic Center.