Zoe Damon, a 20-year-old rising senior at Binghamton University, died on Thursday during a summer research experience in Costa Rica.

According to her Facebook page, she was from Kingston, N.Y. and was studying biology at BU.

Damon was killed while traveling in a van that skidded and fell into a river, according to La Nacion, a Costa Rican newspaper. Richard Andrus, associate professor of environmental studies, was driving the vehicle.

The Press & Sun-Bulletin reported that the van rolled down an embankment more than 100 feet into the El Guabo River.

It took rescuers about two hours to get to the victims. Three other students were injured, but the injuries are not considered to be life threatening.

Most students have returned home, with the exception of two who will remain in order to get their passports replaced after the documents were lost in the accident. Andrus will remain with them to take care of any other details in Costa Rica.

Damon was one of 16 students on the annual summer trip. The students were taking a six-credit summer course, sponsored by the Environmental Studies Program through the Tropical Forestry Initiative.

BU President C. Peter Magrath said the entire University community is saddened by this tragic news and offered thoughts and prayers for the families of all those involved.

The University Counseling Center is available to help students at (607) 777-2772 during normal business hours. For anyone who would like to reach the after-hours Counselor on Call, the University Police is available at (607) 777-2222.