Students, faculty and staff gathered at noon on Friday, May 6 in Mohawk Hall’s Great Room to learn about different community service opportunities being run by the Residential Life Social Justice Education Committee as part of its Day of Action.

After speeches on the importance of community service and presentations on the projects from Al Vos, faculty master of Hinman College and an associate professor of English, and Christie Zwahlen, a representative of the Binghamton University Center for Civic Engagement, the volunteers selected one of three possible activities on which they could spend the rest of the afternoon working: cleaning up the Northside River, painting a home for the disabled in Endwell or cleaning up the Ross Park Zoo.

Vos does not serve on the committee, but the committee asked him to address students due to his wealth of life experiences with civic activism and community service.

Vos said that he has been inspired to give back to the community through his many experiences, which include teaching underprivileged children at a summer program in Harlem, improving conditions for communities of migrant workers in the Dominican Republic and marching alongside the Rev. Martin Luther King, Jr. in Chicago in the 1960s as part of the Chicago Open Housing Movement.

Vos also encouraged students to become more engaged in the community.

“How far that little candle throws his beams. So shines a good deed in a naughty world,” said Vos, quoting William Shakespeare’s play “The Merchant of Venice.”

Zwahlen discussed the importance of the various community service initiatives.

“There are so many ways to get involved and we at the Center for Civic Engagement try to make it as easy as possible,” Zwahlen said.

Scott Rheinheimer, chair of the Residential Life Social Justice Education Committee, discussed benefits students see from volunteering in the community.

“It’s a résumé builder and you do feel good about yourself at the end of the day,” Rheinheimer said.

Marcy Zingman, a senior majoring in English, volunteered at the Ross Park Zoo on Friday.

“I love animals and I love volunteering,” Zingman said.

Jillian DiFalco, a sophomore majoring in psychology, opted to work on the painting project at the home for individuals with mental and physical disabilities.

“My friend’s brother is in a wheelchair and I think it’s a good cause that people are trying to help the disabled,” DiFalco said.

Vos said that community service is also rewarding for the individuals contributing.

“The more we give of self, the richer we become in soul,” said Vos, quoting the sermon delivered by Richard Chartres, the Bishop of London, at the recent wedding of Prince William and Kate Middleton. “The more we go beyond our self in service to others, the more we become our true selves.”