A mere two and a half months ago, Binghamton encountered a deadly threat to the very existence of the human race. An alien plant was uncovered, and now you can see the show to view this rare and deadly creature.

‘Little Shop of Horrors’ is set to open this weekend at 8 p.m. on Nov. 12, 13, 19 and 20, and at 2 p.m. on Nov. 14 and 21 in the Anderson Center’s Watters Theater.

Based on the film by Roger Corman and written by Howard Ashman, the show is a combination of science fiction and horror, with an early 1960s rock and roll, doo-wop and Motown edge. The production features Kyle Lagrutta as Seymour and Mallory Schlossberg as his leading lady, Audrey.

‘Little Shop of Horrors’ is the story of a flower shop worker, Seymour Krelborn, who discovers a mysterious plant that he names Audrey II. The show centers on Seymour as he desperately attempts to keep Audrey II fed in order to maintain his fame and help his chances of getting with Audrey, all while testing the realms of his morality.

Visiting director Dennis Courtney is directing the show. Since this musical has always been on Courtney’s wish list of shows to direct, he is very excited to be part of this production.

‘Little Shop of Horrors’ is a great night of entertainment with a fun script, great cast, music and spectacle,’ Courtney said. ‘The story is universal and everyone can relate on some level.’

Regardless of whether you are familiar with the show, anyone who takes the time to see Binghamton University’s main stage fall musical will be in for a real treat. The cast really puts their hearts and souls into their characters, maintaining an energetic and enthusiastic composure throughout the show’s two acts.

According to Courtney, ‘this cast is superbly talented and have worked very hard with dedication and love for the project.’

Lagrutta, a senior majoring in philosophy, politics and law and minoring in theater, said he is honored to play the show’s lead.

‘He [Seymour] has such a big heart and that makes the dilemmas he gets himself into throughout the show even more heartbreaking,’ Lagrutta said.

While there are many reasons to go see the show, Lagrutta said that the models that were made to represent the deadly plant are amazing.

‘If not for anything else, everyone should come to see the amazing puppet Audrey II,’ Lagrutta said.

As the play progresses and the plant is fed more and more, it continues to grow bigger and bigger. Audrey II adapts from a small puppet to a larger puppet, and then multiple variations of a life-sized pod that is actually controlled inside by cast members.

Schlossberg, a senior double-majoring in theater and English (full disclosure: Mallory Schlossberg is a senior opinion columnist for Pipe Dream), is also extremely excited for the show’s opening and said she has wanted to play Audrey since she was a little girl.

‘She’s not your typical leading lady, which works well for me,’ Schlossberg said. ‘I am not a five-foot-seven blonde ing√É©nue, even though I get to be blonde in the show, but a four-foot-eleven quirky brunette, and I bring all of me to the role.’ Schlossberg said . ‘I just am myself and [I] step into the leopard print high heels of Audrey and her world of Skid Row.’

Besides man-eating plants, what makes the show truly unique is that it allows the actors to explore a rock musical satire.

‘This show gives BU students the opportunity to perform onstage in a satiric musical that offers the audience a fun, slightly twisted plotline,’ Courtney said.

Tickets are on sale at the box office in the Anderson Center and are $10 for students with ID, $16 for faculty/staff/seniors and $18 for general admission.