Although the Binghamton music scene may not be large, thanks to new bands like The Jennys, the selection of local underground music is widely expanding.

The Jennys is made up of lead guitarist Greg Bennett, a senior economics major; bassist Mike Ludwig, a junior in the School of Management; drummer/percussionist Rick Calzi, a senior art major and Mike Linkens, a junior art major who rocks the mic.

All four members of The Jennys are students at Binghamton University and play on the rugby team.

“We actually just started the band two weeks ago,” Bennett said.

Combining a mixture of rock, alternative and indie, and boasting influences such as John Mayer and Jimi Hendrix, The Jennys has a truly unique sound that is relaxing yet still makes you want to jump out of your seat and dance.

Last Tuesday, the band performed for the first time ever at Scoreboard, in the main bar area.

Although it was the band’s first performance, it was quite unapparent to the many who attended the concert.

The crowded bar was filled with energy, and as each song came on, fans eagerly danced, moshed and sang along to the music.

Regular patrons drank and socialized as The Jennys provided background music that was much different than the usual rap and hip-hop that usually plays on full blast in Scoreboard.

“Since this is our first show we are only going to be playing covers, but we plan on writing our own stuff soon,” Bennett said.

The band covered artists such as The Killers, The Strokes, The Hives and Kings of Leon.

From their first song, “When You Were Young,” by The Killers to the last, “Sex on Fire,” by The Kings of Leon, The Jennys had the crowd captivated. Fans eagerly sang along to familiar songs and danced in small groups with their friends.

As soon as The Jennys played the first note of Kings of Leon’s hit single “Use Somebody,” the crowd began to scream excitedly and sang along to every word. The small circles of friends quickly transformed into a large group of strangers, all dancing together and sharing a common love for the music.

As The Jennys hour-long set list continued, more and more fans began to spill into Scoreboard, eager to see what all of the commotion was about.

By the end of the set, the bar was filled and all eyes were on the band that had just played its first performance like rock stars.

Many who attended seemed to share the same sentiments.

“They put on a great performance and had the audience captivated the whole time,” Emily Tetelman, a biology major, said. “The lead singer’s voice also sounds a lot like Julian Casablancas’, the singer from The Strokes.”

Chris Augustyni, a junior English major, agreed.

“It’s a refreshing sound,” Augustyni said. “It’s nice to not hear rap Downtown for once. They fit the alternative and indie sound perfectly and they look like they are having a great time. To sum it up, they are legit.”

For music lovers who didn’t get to attend the first show, The Jennys plans to have weekly performances at local Binghamton bars.