If someone asked you to spill your biggest secret, could you do it?

What if you were guaranteed anonymity? Everyone would be able to see it, but no one would ever know it was your secret. The thoughts you’ve always kept inside could finally be exposed without having to worry about being judged or personally targeted.

So if you had the chance, would you?

Thousands of people do so every day. On the website www.SixBillionSecrets.com, people post the things they don’t have the courage to say out loud. Behind the safe haven of a chosen username, this site provides a home for all the secrets that come pouring out when people type the words they’re too afraid to speak.

From serious issues such as rape and suicide to the common crush or breakup, there’s a place for everything.

Between all of the terrifying, inspiring and heartbreaking comments posted, you are bound to find something you can relate. If you’re in a bad mood, you can find something to brighten your day; if you’re in a good mood, you can find another reason to smile.

Many of the secrets can really change a person’s outlook on life. Realizing the struggles that people all around the world endure puts things into perspective. It’s easy to complain about the harmless little things when there’s nothing for them to be compared to. But for those of us who haven’t gone through those struggles, this site sheds light on devastating secrets that we can only pray we never have to experience.

When real life gets too hard to bear, this website can provide an escape. Posting hardships online makes it easier to detach from reality, and the responses and insightful comments people leave can give hope in a depersonalized, yet effective way.

Sometimes you feel like you can’t turn to your parents or friends for fear of judgment. Sometimes it gets too hard to keep everything bottled up inside. It’s easy to put things off and pretend there’s nothing wrong, but sooner or later something has to give.

It seems as though it doesn’t take much courage to post a secret because it is anonymous. However, the depth and context of the majority of stories make me wonder if I could ever post something like that, even if I knew no one would ever know.

So many of these posts include instances in which people are on the brink of killing themselves, or in mourning over a suicide they think they could have prevented. Whether or not we’ve gone through a similar situation, the reaction a post like that can evoke is truly gut-wrenching.

On the other hand, reading about stories that we’ve experienced gives us faith that if someone else made it through, so can we.

As we go about our everyday lives ‘ interacting with best friends, strangers and acquaintances ‘ we never stop to think about how much we don’t know. We all have one secret we’re dying to get off our chests.

What’s yours?